Killargue

  • Sunday, 22 July 2012 14:35

History / Areas of Interest:

The year of the French in Killargue

The historic year of 1798 will always be remembered in irish history, as the year that the United Irishmen a secret organisation rose up in bloody rebellion against British rule in our island with the aid of French help.  Unfortunately French aid did not come in time, and the initial uprising was crushed in Leinster and Ulster early that summer.  However a small force of French Soldiers did arrive at Killala bay in Mayo in late August.  This force swept all before them on their way into the midlands, to join up with the remaining rebels.  On the afternoon of the 6th of September 1798  they passed along Ardvarney road where one of their number died of his wounds, he was hastily buried by local people.  The French Army camped for a short while at Cornamorriff, a townland in Killargue before heading on through the townland of corrasa on their way to Ballinamuck Co Longford.  They were forced to surrender to a superior British army under General Lake.  To mark the bicentennial of this event in 1998, a gravestone was erected by a local committee.  This monument can be viewed by the visitor to remind him of this historic chapter in Irish history.

Old Sweat House

The remains of an old sweathouse can be viewed on the outskirts of Killargue village on the Manorhamilton road.  These beehive stone structures were used from ancient times up until the late nineteenth century.  People used them by lighting turf fires to heat the stones from inside, when the stones reached a certain temperature the person crawled inside the structure and lay on a bed of ruches and laid there until he perspired profusely then he went out and bathed in a nearby stream.  This procedure was repeated many times.  The reason given was that this constant perspiration of the body would lead to the cure and prevention of many diseases.

 St Mary's Holy Well (Tobair Mhuire) - This is an ancient place of pilgrimage and was attached to a religious settlement, Cill Fearga, which according to the Annals of the Four Masters was founded by a holy woman, St Fearga, as early as the 6th century.

Honours’s Falls – The waterfalls are in the townland of Scardan.  After a stiff climb the is a delightful view of the waterfall flowing into the Scardan river.

O’Donnell’s Rock overlooks the valley of Larkfield and is seen there as a high ridge overlooking the landscape.  It derives its name from a local landlord John O’Donnell of Larkfield House.  This area has spectacular views of the surrounding countryside.

BelhavelLakeis named after a French tutor to the children of landlord Hugh Lyon Montgomery. Her name was Bella Havel.

Read 3597 times Last modified on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 12:01
More in this category: « Glenfarne Kinlough »
 

Local News

  • New Snap Map Warning for Parents
    What Parents Need to Know About the New "Snap Map" Feature on Snapchat The popular social media platform introduced the…
    05
    Jul
  • CCTV to be extended
    A successful CCTV scheme in north Leitrim is to be extended. The project which has been spearheaded by the Manorhamilton…
    05
    Jul

Local Events

  • Rossinver Community Gathering
    05
    Jul
  • Glenfarne Gala Festival
    Glenfarne Gala Festival Aug 24th -27th Glenfarne www.glenfarne.com/gala   This is a wonderful community festival with activities, music, dancing and lots more.…
    20
    Jun
  • Leitrim Glens Sportive
    Leitrim Glens Sportive Aug 20th Manorhamilton Get on your bike and see the Leitrim hills at their best. This route has breathtaking…
    20
    Jun