Manorhamilton (4)

St Clares Church

St. Clare’s Church

This Church was dedicated in October 1882. William Hague, Dublin, was the architect and James Clarence, Ballisodare was the contractor. The building was not fully completed when the dedication took place as the following contemporary account indicates:- "the tower when completed will be a striking feature, carried to a considerable altitude and finished with a tall and graceful spire rising to a height of 170ft., crowned with a gilt cross."

On Saturday 26th January 1884 the church was destroyed by a severe windstorm. An eyewitness described the damage and its effect as follows: "the beautiful Aberdeen granite pillars gave way inside and the whole roof fell in with a terrific crash leaving nothing standing but part of the outside walls. The gable next the town is overhanging and may fall in at any moment. Business is at a standstill. There are shutters on most of the windows."

Work on its rebuilding commenced immediately and it was rededicated on 18th October 1885. Noteworthy features of the church are its beautiful stain-glass windows which are regarded as the finest examples in Ireland of the work of the famous artist Wiiliam Early. Next to the church is the Parochial House built in 1889.

Sir Frederick Hamilton 1590 – 1647 

by Dominic Rooney

In 1620 James I ofEnglandrejected the claims of Brian O'Rourke, son of the last lord of Leitrim, to his native county. Instead, in the plantation of Leitrim he granted one half of the land of the county to fifty British settlers and the other half to one hundred and fifty local native gentry who had earlier surrendered their lands to the crown. The wealthy      Scottish nobleman and courtier, Frederick Hamilton was allocated 1,500 acres of good land and 5,000 acres of mountain and bog in the Glenfarne and Manorhamilton areas ofNorth Leitrim. His estate would be known as the Manor of Hamilton entitling him to hold a manor court with rights of local jurisdiction over his tenants. Another Scotsman John Waldron was granted 1,000 acres in Mullies.

Hamiltonpurchased a knight-hood to reflect his newly acquired status is an extensive estate owner, and settled immediately on his lands with his young wife, Sidney Vaughan.  As he already had some military training, he was given the captaincy of a company of fifty soldiers in the regular army whom he garrisoned on his estate. Sir Frederick was an ambitious planter who by 1630 had enlarged his holding, through the purchase of land from both British and Irish grantees, to 5,000 acres of profitable land and double that of mountain and bog.

In November 1631Hamiltonraised a regiment of 1,200 Scots and Irish men to fight for King Gustavus Adolphus ofSwedenagainst the Catholic Habsburg emperor in the Thirty Years War.  He spent almost twelve months inGermanyas colonel of this regiment before returning firstly toBritainand then to Manorhamilton.  In 1634 he built his impressive castle surrounded by a defensive bawn wall with two-storied towers at its four corners.  The town ofManorhamiltoncomprising initially about one hundred and forty inhabitants grew up on the south side of the castle.

In the settled conditions of the 1630s Sir Frederick set about exploiting the resources of his estate and the surrounding area. He became a large cattle and horse breeder,established two corn mills in Manorhamilton, operated an ironworks at Drumshanbo and was probably involved in the timber trade.

The 1641 rebellion in Leitrim was led by sons of the loyal Irish gentry who had beenGranted land during the plantation of the county some twenty years earlier.  Many were now hopelessly in debt because of their inability to properly manage their estates. Castle Hamilton was attacked and besieged three times during the year 1642 and was in constant dander of being captured right up to the autumn of 1643. During one of the sieges Manorhamilton town the military garrisons’ head quarters and the two corn mills were all burned to the ground.  After having raised an extra two hundred soldiers from the local settler population,Hamiltonreacted very violently to the rebellion. He laid waste the countryside around Manorhamilton killed many hundreds of the native Irish in military action and also had fifty-eight people hanged on a gallows erected outside the castle walls.

After he defeated the rebels in Leitrim andSligo, Sir Frederick left Manorhamilton in September1 643 and went toDerryto oppose a truce between the King and theIrish confederates.  While there he joined the recently formed alliance between the English parliament and the Scottish Presbyterian government in the English Civil War against the King. Having failed to secure the presidency ofConnachtthe government of Derryor compensation for his losses during the rebellion from the English parliament.  Hamiltonspent much of 1646 as colonel of a Scottish cavalry regiment. He retired fromPublic and army life in February 1647 and died in relative poverty inEdinburgh nine months later.

Manorhamilton, which lies in the shadow of Benbo mountain, is the principal town in North Leitrim.  Home of unspoilt green fields, prized angling and the seven beautiful glens of Glencar, Glenfarne, Glenaniff, Glenboy, Glenkeel, Gleniff and Glenade.

Come to North Leitrim and discover all we have to offer - lose yourself in our rivers, the lakes or in the forests and mountains that provide such wonderful scenery. Once lost you may never want to be found!

Read more

...

Manorhamilton, which lies in the shadow of Benbo mountain, is the principal town in North Leitrim. Home of unspoilt green fields, prized angling and the seven beautiful glens of Glencar, Glenfarne, Glenaniff, Glenboy, Glenkeel, Gleniff and Glenade.

Come to North Leitrim and discover all we have to offer - lose yourself in our rivers, the lakes or in the forests and mountains that provide such wonderful scenery. Once lost you may never want to be found! 

Places of Interest in Manorhamilton 

Manorhamilton Castle around which the town of Manorhamilton grew has a dramatic and colourful history, stories of which live on in the town to this day.

The castle overlord Sir Frederick Hamilton was to become a bye word for cruelty down the centuries as a result of his brutality in suppressing uprisings led by the O’Rourke Chieftains whose land he had seized. On display is a permanent exhibition including artefacts from the 17th Century, replica period costumes, furniture, a castle model and other interesting items and information. 

Manorhamilton Castle and Heritage Centre is open all the year round to the general public and to organised tours.  A tour of the recently restored castle ruins and grounds can be taken, conducted by an experienced and informative guide.  Tours can be arranged on appointment, all visits must be arranged in advance.

Directions: Manorhamilton Castle and Visitors Centre is located on Castle Street in the centre of Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim, Ireland.

 +353 86 2502593

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.manorhamiltoncastle.ie

 

Read information on:

 

Distances to Manorhamilton from…

  • Sligo - 26 Kms
  • Knock Airport - 81 Kms
  • Dublin - 196 Kms
  • Galway - 165 Kms
  • Belfast - 175 Kms
  • Cork - 355 Kms

From Address: To:

 

Local News

  • New Snap Map Warning for Parents
    What Parents Need to Know About the New "Snap Map" Feature on Snapchat The popular social media platform introduced the…
    05
    Jul
  • CCTV to be extended
    A successful CCTV scheme in north Leitrim is to be extended. The project which has been spearheaded by the Manorhamilton…
    05
    Jul

Local Events

  • Rossinver Community Gathering
    05
    Jul
  • Glenfarne Gala Festival
    Glenfarne Gala Festival Aug 24th -27th Glenfarne www.glenfarne.com/gala   This is a wonderful community festival with activities, music, dancing and lots more.…
    20
    Jun
  • Leitrim Glens Sportive
    Leitrim Glens Sportive Aug 20th Manorhamilton Get on your bike and see the Leitrim hills at their best. This route has breathtaking…
    20
    Jun