Print this page

St. Clare's Church, Manorhamilton

St Clares Church

St. Clare’s Church

This Church was dedicated in October 1882. William Hague, Dublin, was the architect and James Clarence, Ballisodare was the contractor. The building was not fully completed when the dedication took place as the following contemporary account indicates:- "the tower when completed will be a striking feature, carried to a considerable altitude and finished with a tall and graceful spire rising to a height of 170ft., crowned with a gilt cross."

On Saturday 26th January 1884 the church was destroyed by a severe windstorm. An eyewitness described the damage and its effect as follows: "the beautiful Aberdeen granite pillars gave way inside and the whole roof fell in with a terrific crash leaving nothing standing but part of the outside walls. The gable next the town is overhanging and may fall in at any moment. Business is at a standstill. There are shutters on most of the windows."

Work on its rebuilding commenced immediately and it was rededicated on 18th October 1885. Noteworthy features of the church are its beautiful stain-glass windows which are regarded as the finest examples in Ireland of the work of the famous artist Wiiliam Early. Next to the church is the Parochial House built in 1889.